Friday, March 2, 2012

The Diagnoses

My diagnosis wasn't a simple thing.
Have you ever had a back ache? Most everyone can relate to the pain of a back ache. My back hurt llike normal for a few days. A dull pressure that went away with a little stretch here and there. A pop here and a crack there would alleviate the pressure that seemed to grip my spine. Then, my back began popping with normal movement. I didn't have to even try, it would just crack.
At this point is was Friday and after speaking with my family doctor I began talking the medication she prescribed. It helped a little bit, which was enough to keep taking the meds, but it didn't stop completely or close enough to even go to sleep for the most part.

The first night went by and nothing odd or out of the ordinary occurred. I played some games, watched some YouTube™ videos and stressed a little about what was going to happen in the next day. This all went on while the pain I had in my back began to spread a little, and get more and more severe.

Saturday night and Sunday night went on almost identical to Friday except for the increasing amount of pain.
By the time Monday night rolled around it took everything I had just to sit still on the heating pad that so quietly melted the edge off of the throbbing that now sped its way down my upper back.

I lay in bed roughly at midnight or 1 am on Tuesday dreading waking up to go to work. I lay there twisting and turning, back aching, needing to pop when I thought maybe laying on the heating pad would help. So, I went downstairs and grab the pad, and when I returned to bed I set the pad on the bed and turn the heat on.

It felt wonderful when I finally settled and lay still for several minutes. But, with each move I hurt more and more. So, I grabbed the Ipad2 and lay as still as I could reading webcomics like CAD-comic.com and goblinscomic.com.

The clock ticked on, and I lay as still as possible and read. Several hours passed with little discomfort while I caught up on all my reading. Finally the alarm started sounding from the digital clock on the bookshelf across the room. The orange glow from the number read 6:30 as it were teasing me over the lack of sleep.

I put the Ipad2 down on the bed next to me, and when I tried to get up I couldn't get my legs to swing to the side. They acted like they were asleep, only without the tingly sensation you usually get. "Ok," I thought to myself, "they are probably just asleep." I told myself quietly as not to wake my wife next to me.

After several minutes attempting to get my legs to work I finally grabbed my wifes shoulder and gently nudged her back and forth to wake her up.

"Honey?" I said softly, "Honey, get up sweety." my voice growing more nervous.

I could here her begin to wake up in her breathing as she mumbled "What is it babe?"

"Honey, somethings wrong here. I can't get my legs to move." I said remaining as calm as I could, "Can you get the alarm and help me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment